Friday, February 5, 2010

Week III: Web Technology


I thoroughly enjoyed learning about this week's topic, Web Technology! We learned about the term Web 2.0 which I had never heard of before. Web 2.0 is different from the original Web 1.0 in that it is an interactive internet whereas users of the world wide web upload images, write blogs, comment on articles, etc. This is pretty much the only internet that I've ever known so it is interesting to look at it in a different way. When I started using the internet, I had a had a DeadJournal which I modified to fit my liking and then they started charging so all of my friends moved over to LiveJournal which some people that I know still use today. We were given a great resource which was a website providing us with different examples and links to sites that are considered Web 2.0. We all had to write about 3 sites which was extremely beneficial because it allowed me to explore sites that I have never used before. I know that there is a lot out there on the internet that I've never seen, but the extremely useful tools that are out there to be used with photos, family trees, cooking, etc.

In my career as an audiologist, I will use Web 2.0 often. I plan on having a website for my practice where I have links and interactive programs. I will refer my clients to other websites where they can blog about their hearing loss or Deaf culture, too. Other than that, Web 2.0 will not be an extensive part of my career. Most of my interaction with my clients in person or on the phone so I will be able to maintain the one-to-one interaction that the internet has replaced for my professions and relationships.

I found this image on Voices.com. It provides an easy-to-understand visual representation of Web 1.0 and Web 2.0. The contrast that the image provides between the two terms allows for us to better understand the explosion that Web 2.o has provided users.


No comments:

Post a Comment