Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week VI: Visual Literacy

This week we learned about Visual Literacy. According to visual-literacy.org, visual literacy is defined as the ability to evaluate, apply, or create conceptual visual representation. At first, I did not quite understand the topic because we were just looking at pictures and our goal was to use Photoshop to create an image. I did not think that this has any specific term associated with it. After completing my visual literacy project, I can see that there are underlying themes that some pictures convey and photographers are displaying their concept of something through their artwork. Even after researching the topic independently, I do not fully understand the concept.

I looked for a visual representation of the visual literacy concept. I found this image on a Purdue website and feel that it helps to add an organization to the idea.

This image shows the breakdown of areas under the term visual literacy. The diagram is split into three subsections. The first subsection is visual thinking, which contains metaphoric thinking, visualization, source of imagery, right brain and left brain functions, and mental nodes. The second subsection is visual learning, which contains design of materials, reading pictures, and research on learning. The third subsection is visual rhetoric and visual communication, which contains art, media, and aesthetics.

When thinking about visual literacy in the field of audiology, I feel that it is important to portray a good visual image as a professional and a service. The environment that I work in after receiving my doctorate will create a perception for my future clients. It is important to associate my office with good service and this will be done through my good clinical experience and the other visual images that I portray. The clothes that my employees and I wear as well as the cleanliness and organization of the office will provide a more legitimate and respectable atmosphere. As with a former post, the website that I create for my office must also have a purpose that can be understood by the youngest and oldest of populations.

No comments:

Post a Comment