Saturday, February 6, 2010

Week V: Image Manipulation

Also during this week, we discussed image manipulation through programs such as Photoshop and other older methods that were used prior to computers. We saw the "Top 10 Doctored Pictures" which really opened up my eyes to what the media portrays to us. I know that models and many images used to sell products to consumers are altered, but I didn't think that political or war pictures would be. Ethically, I think that pictures taken to inform the public of what is going on in other countries or in the real world should not be altered. Images that are used as propaganda and are altered to portray something different than reality is wrong. Although I don't think it is right, I am not as bothered by the manipulation of images of models or other images used for entertainment or sale. I do feel that these changes of models to make them more "beautiful" and slender gives children the wrong message, especially little girls. I feel that we need to show our youth that who they are is absolutely enough and they don't have to live up to the images of very slender models.

One day, I hope to have my own practice as an audiologist. I envision decorating my office with images to provide a more stimulating and pleasurable environment for my clients. It is also guaranteed that these images are going to be manipulated photos or artwork. Personally, I do not see myself creating my own images or using Photoshop much as an audiologist. I will most likely pay a graphic designer to help me with my company's images and as long as it is for entertainment purposes and one's perception of the real world is not altered, I do not mind.

I found an article that discusses the controversy of image manipulation. It is an article written by Vikas Malhotra that is posted on thejavajive.com. I feel that this article provides a good discussion of the controversy and explains image manipulation prior to the computer.
thejavajive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment