Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week XI: Open Source Software

This week we talked about social networking and open source software. When we discussed social networking, we mentioned the pros and the cons of it. It is important to realize that not all people are aware of the pragmatics that occur when using the internet. It is important to education our youth on what is safe to use and how not to trust everything you come into contact with while on the internet. There have been many unfortunate events that occurred because of bullying on the internet which can not always be prevented since it is such an open place. We also learned about open source software which is software that is typically available online. The codes are available for many people to manipulate and change to create the end result of the product. It is almost like having a lot of people create a product together but they do not even have to know each other. Music, games, resources, etc have been created through this method.

Since open source is a methodology and a practice, there are tons of resources online that are created this way. Although I am not likely going to create an amazing program for other to use on the internet, I will utilize these resources. I do not know exactly what sources I will use when I am an audiologist, but I am sure that I will be able to find something that will make my life easier personally and professionally.

When researching more about this topic, I came across a website that helps you find and develop open source tools. It is called Source Forge and it is free! You can even browse for tools by category which can make it even easier to find what you are looking for. This is a great site and I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment