Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week XIV: Using Games for Teaching and Learning

This week we learned about Second Life and online games that can be used for learning. Although games can be used just for entertainment, we can make anything educational. I do think Second Life is a very interesting game, however, I don't think that it should be used for educational purposes. Google Earth is a great application that can be very useful and educational. I would like to figure out how to use it to make traveling movies and such that will allow me to document my trips. This is a great source for teaching geography and where a child lives.

I feel that it is very important to have a fun learning environment in the classroom that utilizes online resources. I hope to do this in my practice to teach my patients resources online. I think it is a good idea to show them instead of just handing them a sheet of paper saying what they need to do. There are no games that I can play with my patients and since many of them will be older, I do not think that would be appropriate.

I came across a thread that talks about gaming in the classroom. You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment